Resident Spotlight: Anna

posted in: Stories | 0

​I was born in Boston City Hospital in 1963. I was an only child, and we lived in Boston until I was twelve. Then we moved to Brockton. I graduated in April 1981 from Brockton High School. I continued to stay at home with my mother. I had a baby girl in November 1981. Afterwards, I got a part time job to support my baby and went to Massasoit Community College in Brockton for one year taking computers. Then I went for job training for a year and from that got a job at Knap Shoes as a temp file clerk. I was there for three months when they created a position for me called a Watts Room Operator where I took orders over the phone. Afterwards I moved to processing where I used my computer skills and then onto customer service until Becky went to first grade. I wanted to work only part time then because I could not get my daughter into an after school program. I tried to keep my medical insurance just for my daughter, but I was denied. I quit my job after all those years.

​I met my husband because his family owned the house I lived in with my mother. We were married in 1988, but in 1990, I filed for divorced after he hit my daughter and split her head opened. He had once hit me, but I was strong and went after him and pinned him down. He never touched me again. However, touching our daughters was another story. We had two lovely girls, Mandy and Savannah, and that’s the best thing from that marriage.

​My life continued with struggles like everyone else, but when my girls were grown, Mandy and I continued to live together until her boyfriend moved in and seemed to cause a rift between us. She threw me out, and then I was on the streets with nothing and no money. I lived in my car for three years parking in places that were opened 24 hours, so no one would notice, and I would use their washrooms to clean up and go to the bathroom. Finally, I was able to get into a shelter, but it was like a prison. We could have a cigarette every hour, and we had to be buzzed out and back in. My daughter, Savannah, was helping me by calling places, one of which was Homeless not Hopeless where I got an interview. It went well, but I did not have enough income, so how was I going to move there? I would be able to get a bed if I could get a job, and I got one driving a taxi. Robyn then called me to check on me. I told her, and I was in. I told the shelter where I was that I had a doctor’s appointment because otherwise, they would not let me out! Now with the job and my social security I was able to pay my community fee with that and my social security. The rest is history. I’ve been at HnH since and loving it. The women have been wonderful to me, and they love my cooking and baking. They helped me with housing, and I received a section 8 voucher, and I will be moving to a place off Cape near Savannah. I am so grateful for everything. The women are all telling me they will miss me, but I really think it’s my baking and cooking that they will miss!

​I want to thank HnH for all their help for giving me the opportunity to meet them and become friends, and I hope to remains friends and keep in touch.